Flu season… yep, it’s here and on every corner there is a “Get your flu shot here” sign. As far as vaccines go, well that’s a whole other discussion, but I thought I’d share some quick basics for preventing illness and making it through this season with your health intact. On a side note, while I’m not going to get into the topic of the vaccine, I think it’s important for us to be educated in the decisions we make regarding our health and this article does a good job of pointing out some interesting statistics about the flu vaccine: Flu Vaccine Exposed
Here are some quick and easy ways you can boost your immunity and prevent the flu this season…
- Wash your hands whenever you can or for convenience sake, I just started carrying a bottle of hand sanitizer around with me. I recommend EO, it has a nice lavender scent so you don’t smell like alcohol all day!
- Elderberry is anti-viral and you can take it in tincture or pill form. There was even a study published recently on its effectiveness in treating the infamous H1N1 virus; otherwise known as The Swine Flu. Check it out here: Elderberry Flavanoids bind to and prevent H1N1 infection in vitro
- Vitamin C, D, A & Zinc all boost the immune system
- Antioxidants; don’t forget to eat your colorful fruits and veggies
- Echinacea; I just got some yummy Immune boosting tea w/ Echinacea, Lemon & Ginger
- Limit sugar
- Don’t stress; nows a perfect time to get started on your Qi-gong practice if you don’t already have one! There are lots of ways to limit stress, yoga, meditation, walking outdoors, & other forms of exercise just to name a few, for more info check out one of my previous posts Here
- Get plenty of sleep; sleep is so important!
- Drink lots of water and get lots of fluids to help flush out the body and keep hydrated
- Limit dairy, as in Chinese Medicine, it creates a lot of phlegm, which creates a nice breeding ground for sickness.
- Eat lots of garlic & ginger
- Also some good Chinese Formulas if you are starting to feel the beginning’s of a flu coming on: Yin Qiao San, Gan Mao Ling or ‘Perilla Pearls’ (for more information on, the pearls click here to link) **Of course, please consult your Acupuncturist when choosing the right formula!
So there you go, some quick bits of knowledge you can live by this flu season! Here’s to a healthy season! Take care!
Here is another great article on Boosting the Immune System using Chinese Medicine and another great Integrative Medicine Source with info from Naturopaths and Licensed Acupuncturists.
Sources: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/09/26/Flu-Vaccine-Exposed.aspx; Pubmed Aug 2009; Kuoch, David J. Acupuncture Desk Reference, Acumed West Inc., 2009